"Love your job, but never fall in love with your company because you never know when the company stops loving you" -- Narayana Murthy
Read this line from Bukoh Mary blog. And I found it quite meaningful. In my ex-company, I have been slogging. Most time is not because I'm inefficient but rather we are seriously under-staff. As a result, it affected my private life. So I seriously agreed to what the article says. And I particularly like this:
Being in the office long hours, over long periods of time, makes way for potential errors....
As Managers, there are things we can do to help people leave the office. First and foremost is to set the example and go home ourselves. Second is to encourage people to put some balance in their lives. For instance, here is a guideline I find helpful:
1) Wake up, eat a good breakfast, and go to work.
2) Work hard and smart for eight or nine hours.
3) Go home.
4) Read the books/comics, watch a funny movie, dig in the dirt,play with your kids, etc.
5) Eat well and sleep well.
This is called recreating. Doing steps 1, 3, 4, and 5 enable step 2.
Working regular hours and recreating daily are simple concepts.
They are hard for some of us because that requires 'personal change'.
They are possible since we all have the power to choose to do them.
For those who are still slogging away... its time you get your life back... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amazing.
I wrote my piece about "I love my job" before I saw your piece.
And I never even read Mary's blog.
Either we are telepathic or I am psychic.
Post a Comment