Thursday, October 19, 2006

Maids

Been wanting to post this a few days back.. but keep forgetting... i was reading the "Today" newspaper on monday and I got a shock of what I read... The article is about how the young kids nowadays depends too much on their maids.

There was one example (true case) where a kid went to toilet and didn't flush it after using. When the teacher ask him why he didn't flush the toilet, the kid says "Oh its the job of my maid" *WTH?!*... another similar incident was a kid was doing some duty work and then he didn't switch off the tap after using.. when the teacher ask him why is it so... again the answer was "Its the job of my maid"... and from the article I came to understand that kids nowadays do not need to do class duty... remember when you are in primary and secondary school there is a duty roster where about once a week you either have to sweep the floor, wipe the blackboard or empty the dustbin? Well, kids nowadays don't need to do that.. cos the parents feel that I'm paying "so much" school fees, can't the school get a maid to do the job? *WTF?!*

I don't blame the kids.. cos they are innocent.. but the parents.. what sort of thinking are they instilling into their kids?? So next time when they are old, is it also the job of the maid to take care of them instead of their kids? how would they feel? I understand most of them came from a hardeous background.. cos singapore wasn't tat rich when they were kids... so they didn't want their kids to suffer the same kind of thing now... but is that correct??? turning off the tap or flushing the toilet is just minor toilet manners... and training your kids to do some duty is just for discipline purpose and to understand how hard the work is for the maid... so they can appreciate what they are having now... and not take things for granted.

besides, maids are also human.. they are just maids.. not slaves... why should they do all the job? even flushing toilet such a minor thing you need a maid to do it??? these parents deserve a tight slap on their face to wake up their idea....

No comments: